The COVID-19 Vaccination Roll-out.
Since the start of 2020, the vaccination for the COVID-19 virus has been eagerly anticipated by people all around the world.
On Monday 22nd March 2021, Central Highlands Healthcare started our roll out with the AstraZeneca vaccine and by the 29th June we were also vaccinating our community with the Pfizer (Comirnaty) vaccination.
The two vaccines are made differently but both offer strong levels of protection against COVID-19. They are designed to trigger your immune system to make antibodies to the spike protein of the virus. This means if you were to ever get the COVID-19 virus, your body is better prepared to fight the illness.
How our vaccination clinic works...
Starting in September 2021, anybody over the age of 16 is eligible to book an appointment for a vaccination at our GP-led clinic. Our vaccination clinic which runs every afternoon between Monday-Friday and as demand allows on the weekend. Each day we vaccinate on average around 100 people.
- Once you have booked, there is a short registration to complete which is sent to you via text message so that you can complete it prior to your appointment.
- We ask you to bring some identification and your medicare card (if you have one) to your appointment. There is no charge, this is to allow us to report your vaccination.
- The vaccine is given via an injection into your upper arm by a health professional who has been trained in giving the COVID-19 vaccine.
- After your vaccination you must remain in the clinic for observation for at least 15 minutes, depending on your medical history, you may be asked to wait in the clinic for thirty minutes.
- Your vaccination record can be accessed on your My Health Record or through the Medicare website.
- Remember.... Both of these vaccines require two doses several weeks apart to get the full benefit
How it's going so far...
By 25th August 2021 we have administered 6105 doses of the COVID-19 vaccination here at Emerald Medical Group.
2297 of these people have received both doses of the vaccination.
Many of patients have spoken with their regular GP here regarding any questions they might have about the vaccination and our doctors are still offering consultations to those who wish to discuss the vaccination. We encourage you to book this appointment before you book your vaccination appointment.
Our Doctors, Nurses and Administration staff continue to work hard to ensure that we are vaccinating the community against the virus.
Remember you can book an appointment to get vaccinated against the COVID-19 vaccination via Hotdocs here:
Or you can call our practice on 07 4986 7400 and one of our staff members will help you out.
If you have any questions about either vaccination, please follow this link to read more or book an appointment with your doctor.